wasabigirl's ramblings

Sunday, August 26, 2012

Spicy tomato jam

Spicy tomato jam (adapted from NY Times)

I started with this recipe, but resolved that next time I would reduce the amount of sugar, probably down to 3/4 cup. Also, I didn't use roma tomatoes (see the photo for the assortment I used). Finally, I used a pepper from the garden; it was mildly spicy. I wish I could remember the variety because it was so perfect for this recipe. I'd probably use a jalapeño in the future.

Part of why I love this recipe is that it is one of few tomato recipes that doesn't require you to peel or de-seed the tomatoes. Just chop and simmer.

1 1/2 pounds good ripe tomatoes (Roma are best), cored and coarsely chopped
1 cup sugar (I'd reduce to 3/4 unless the tomatoes are really tart)
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
1 tablespoon fresh grated or minced ginger
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon salt
1 jalapeño or other peppers, stemmed, seeded and minced, or red pepper flakes or cayenne to taste.

1. Combine all ingredients in a heavy medium saucepan, Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring often.

2. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until mixture has consistency of thick jam, about 1 hour 15 minutes. (I probably doubled the time, it was too watery at 1 hour.)

Taste and adjust seasoning, then cool and refrigerate until ready to use; this will keep at least a week. I put mine in small jars and then froze it. It kept nicely for a year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home